My Youngest Daughter...Emma

--the story behind the following poem: Very discouraged after seven miscarriages between Kaitlynn and Emma, and following a negative pregnancy test on day 14 post-conception, I was questioning the purpose of spending another $90 on a vial of progesterone. My obstetrician, Hugh Bailey, MD, had OK'ed for me to start on the hormone earlier than normal, hoping the early boost would help me carry the pregnancy past the critical stage. I had signs of threatened miscarriage the night before I stood in line at the pharmacy contemplating giving up when I had this experience......

For My Daughter, Emma
By, Harriette Glover

Right before God sent you to me,
His plan for my life was hard to see.
How many times would I have to cry?
How many times would I have to ask, “Why?”

So, when you weren’t much bigger than a sunflower seed,
He gave me a sign in my time of need.
She wore a long skirt, tattered by wear,
A simple ribbon tied in her long, curly red hair.

An eccentric old lady I’d not met before,
Stood before me in line at a department store.
She touched my stomach and said out of the blue,
“She’s gonna be fine and have pretty hair just like you.”

I wanted to ask her, “How could you know?”
As she stepped out of line and started to go.
With tears in my eyes, I immediately knew,
God sent an angel to tell me about you.

No comments: