My Mother...Faye

My Mama

My Mama is my sounding board,
She’s always there for me.
I never have to wonder,
My friend she’ll always be.

If our resemblance wasn’t unmistakable,
I’d think I was switched at birth.
She’s patient, loving, gentle, and kind,
All the things I wish I were.

She never liked to be the one
To have to discipline her own;
There’s no telling how many times she said,
“Wait ‘til your Father gets home.”

Although she tried her best to teach me,
How children should behave.
I’d escalate my shenanigans,
The more effort that she gave.

“Train up a child when they are young”
That has always been her goal;
She trusted what He promised,
That I’d return when I was old.

I used to ponder the reason,
For those years skipped in between;
But my Mama understood its meaning well,
To live with me as a teen.

I know she’s finally breathing
Several sighs of relief;
Her baby daughter has found her way,
Standing strong in her beliefs.

From my father I got my people skills
Never have I a loss for words.
But from my mama, I got a gentle heart,
It just took a while to emerge.

By, Harriette M. Glover

No comments: