My Sisters...Lynnette and Allena

Who first taught you more about patience than you ever cared to know?
Who was the first to start preparing you for your future “Mother” role?

Who followed in your footsteps, sometimes stepping on your heels?
Who copied your mistakes, always ignoring your appeals?

Who first demanded your attention, as if it were deserved?
Who was actually taking mental notes of which memories to preserve?

These riddles all have the same answer, making it easier to deduce;
It’s ME! Your baby sister; and I’m still looking up to you.

Thank you for every gift, and every blessing, that you have shared with me;
Thanks for showing mercy in my younger years for my relentless pestering.

You can only imagine the difference in my life that both of you have made;
Especially, by following your example to listen, be still, and pray.

Thank you, Allena, for sharing Christ-like advice even when I do not ask;
The times, out of love, you must give rebuke cannot be an easy task.
I’ve learned from you, it’s not so hard to keep your heart where it belongs;
And not to be too proud to say, “I’m sorry,” when I’m wrong.

Lynnette, thanks for two gifts (to be revealed) and for your faith in me;
You knew I’d eventually open my eyes to what love should really be.
I’d thought your life would’ve been easier if you hadn’t obeyed His voice;
But strength and courage He gave us all, when you made life your choice.

By, Harriette Glover

No comments: